Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Dryer Model GEW9868KQ1. I have taken it

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Dryer Model GEW9868KQ1. I have taken it all apart and cleaned it well, checking all the Thermo controles and heated with my ohmeter. When I plug it in the wall nothing happens. The Tech sheet pg.1 says to use the "more time & less time" touchpad twice and I get an 88 in the display. All the lights come on and followed the pg #2 instructions and everything checks out. I press the start button and the dryer comes on heating with a 00 in the display. When I open the door the light comes on and the dryer shuts off. Close the dryer press the start button and dryer comes on again. I can't select a drying cycle. What's wrong?
Joe Baxter
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately you just have a bad control board if the dryer won't work under normal conditions but it works in diagnostics. That is the only thing that would stop the dryer from turning on like normal but allow the unit to work perfectly in diagnostics. The part number for the control board is(###) ###-####but it's no longer made so you'd need to try to locate a used/refurbished part or send the board into a place like Circuit Board Medics at(###) ###-####to have the board refurbished. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?