Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Washer stuck after Wash cycle. Will not advance to Rinse. Error

Customer Question

Washer stuck after Wash cycle. Will not advance to Rinse. Error Code "Delicate" flashes indicates a "Drainage Error" ...but Drainage is not the problem. Samsung Model DMT 400 RHW
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All 4 wash modes stop just after the wash cycle ends. If I attempt an immediate "Cancel-n-Drain" unit is silent for 2 mins., then I hear a thump & washer arms start momentarily and stop, silence for another 1-1/2 mins. hear start-stop of arms, then silence...after a 4 min. overall, unit shuts Off. However, if I wait overnight and do the cancel-n-drain, unit drains standing water completely! Turbidity sensor next to examine; but sump is surprisingly very clean...doubt if it the cause. Any other sensors that check-off at the end of wash cycle, just prior to the rinse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wash cycles are normal & complete with very well-heated water that simply does not drain. Then, an error code appears. Can clearly drain the remaining water completely, provided I let it cool-down and rest overnight. Can a high temp. sensor provide the roadblock? and the misguided "drain error" code?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! On the left side of the tub is a plastic tank. Is that tank clean and unobstructed? As for the drain issue, the drain pump may be stalling. Does the pump sound noisy when it runs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the pinball-looking housing when I had it out the first time..now have seen YouTube on it as water level sensor / float valve device..I will need to disconnect utilities & pull the unit from cabinet to do a thorough exam. Re: pump sound. No, sounds very strong, no stalling I believe. When I do the morning cancel & drain keys, it comes on prommptly & full strength. But, if I try cancel&drain immediately upon seeing error code...it attempts to start up & immedieately stops as if a signal interrupt it. The 40 min. Wash cycle works great. Pump drains the first wash water.. Unit is only 1 year, 2 months old. Motor should still be young & strong!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Odd that it runs a 40 minute cycle well. That leads me to believe it may be electronic trouble in nature. Turn power to machine off for an hour or two, any change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power "off" for 2 hrs. Yields same result. Yes, agree it is some elec. safety device inturrupting the 2 nd water dumping of the wash cycle ( regardless of selected wash mode). Question: if it were caused by the suggested water level sensor...why would the first wash cycle "dump" OK as it should, yet refill and subsequentaly do the second washing normally before it decides something is amiss and generate the error code? Something unique to that part of the cycle? You have heated water standing in the basin and it suddenly decides to itself there is a "drainage" problem. No logical. What other component (ie, sensor) checks-in at the end-of-wash? Now told, have a relatively new washer $600 offline for 3 weeks. Ran varying selections of cycles 10-12 by now. Under the erronious "drainage" diagnosis, have cleared sump, replaced a good check valve flapper, opened macerator to find no blockage. All cavities are clean of food and/or debris. You still think I should pull her out and do a thorough exam of the float valve/ water level sensor? Glad to do it, but too much work involved for weeknight. Will have to wait till next friday to have another go at it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If water level sensor trips, does it not yield a specific "overfill" code in-lieu-of the "Delicate" light flashing?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I do suspect it will be necessary, yes. There is a turbidity sensor that may be causing trouble if it is dirty, but you would see that in the sump. It is shown as number 21 in the diagram at the link below. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will check the turbidity sensor first. The other will have to wait.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, there are no time issues, other than you having to wash by hand! :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I check turbidity sensor in-place? With filter cap off, I should be able to see it, perhaps wipe it softly with a toothbrush? Any cause to pull it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, just make sure it is clean. There is an optical beam that has to shoot across the gap.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a smell odor last month that caused some concern. Advised to place some vinegar to cure odor. We poured a cup of white vinegar into basin and let it set for 2weeks while away on vacation. Could it have etched or fouled the plastic surface? Our problem just began right about that time on our return, not so sure, but in that time frame just about.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Probably not but the acetic acid is hard on the seals, especially if left in contact for that long.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Does the surface look cloudy or clear?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The link below is to a good picture. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks similar to your pic. Not cloudy.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it is probably fine then. Let me know what you find with that tank on the side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will report as soon as I can on the side apparatus as soon as I can get the appliance back out from the cabinet. Friday or Saturday
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That will be just fine, thank you. Please disregard any automated messages you may receive, I have no control over those.