John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My whirlpool cabrio washer gives and error code of f72. what should to do before calling

Customer Question

my whirlpool cabrio washer gives and error code of f72. what should to do before calling a repair man? before the f 72 code i was getting and f 34 code and when i pressed any button all the machine would to is make beeping sounds.. power button wouldn't even turn machine off. i received the codes after holding a button down 3 seconds and releasing for 3 seconds until 88 appeared on screen, then i turned knob to run through the test and those are the 2 codes i received
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. The F72 code means the inner tub did not properly re-engage. It needs to float up when the water is in the tub so it can agitate and then drop back down to be able to spin after it drains. See if you can turn the tub and lift and drop it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it turned lifted and dropped
Is the problem intermittent or does this happen all the time? Also did the tub turn without much pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time I encounter this problem. Yes the tub turns easily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water did not drain from the tub if that is also helpful to you
Ah, yes. You will get the tub code if the tub still floats when the washer is ready to spin. There may just be something stuck in the drain pump. Do you want to try to take it apart and see if you can do the repair? You will need to get the water out and tilt it back and remove the pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Okay. After you get most of the water out you tilt the washer back and there are two pumps. The slightly larger one on the right is the drain pump. 3 screws and a few clamps and it comes off. Water will come out depending how much water you couldn't remove from the tub. Look for something in the pump or hose or tub outlet up top.