Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I also have a PT925sn4ss double oven from GE that is about

Customer Question

I also have a PT925sn4ss double oven from GE that is about 2 yrs old and just totally died while in operation. While cooking the oven seemed to short out and trip the breaker. Re-setting the breaker immediately did not work (popping sound in/near oven when trying to re-set break breaker). Tried re-setting breaker again when unit was cold but same issue. I understand that many people have had problems with this oven due to moisture building up and frying the control panel (I think part 16). I could easily change out this part myself if that really was the problem. If there was a major short in this part, would there be obvious burn marks on the circuit board? I opened and inspected but could not visibly see any damage. Any way to confirm (via volt meter) where the short is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Typically, the control board would not trip the breaker. More likely is that a wire has shorted and damaged the control. Is the wiring to the elements and the cord connections in good shape? No melting or discoloration? Any arc marks by any of the components in the back of the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume that I would need to pull the oven completely out to look at the wiring connections on the back of the unit. Is that what you are talking about? I will not be able to do this until I am back home in the middle of the week. Is there a way to determine if the control board is actually damaged? Any steps I can take to verify key circuits are in tact and functioning? I had a similar problem with a dryer control board a year ago and there was obvious damage to the board when visually inspected. Please let me know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you would need to pull the oven out. You can verify control failure by measuring voltage to it. If you have voltage to the control and it is dead, it is indeed faulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will pull unit out and inspect sometime mid week and let you know what I find. Jim
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thank you! I will see if I can dig up the service manual for this for you. That may come in handy.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The service manual for that oven is available below. CLICK HERE