Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Refrigerator, freezer side is leaking water, ices are melting,

Customer Question

My Refrigerator, freezer side is leaking water, ices are melting, water coming out from ice dispenser and some underneath. what is causing that? can it be fix and approximately how much?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if the ice all melted in the freezer side and not able to form, would that be the coil problem or may be Freon leaking? I know if the drain got stuck it will built up ice at the bottom of the freezer. at first there seemed to be some but it melted away! Today, I feel that the temp on the refrigerator side is not holding well at it's coldest. Wondering what will be the problem and does it worth to get it fix? if fixed how long will it last and how much will it cost ( a rough estimate)! Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So to start, the leaking is due to the freezer section warming up. The first thing you'd need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to see what the silver evaporator coils look like. Are they packed with frost? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? Some frost on top but not on bottom? etc... Also, I see you requested a phone call so I'll send that option over now if you'd like for me to call you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot pull the panel out there is a pin and it seems to be stuck, I cannot get it out..
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what to say since I'm not there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where are you located? are you able to come over to look at it? so do you think it can be fix?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm out of Colorado so that isn't likely. The unit can definitely be fixed but whether or not it's worth fixing depends on what is wrong and to determine that you need to know what the silver evaporator coils look like to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the ice melted and water stop leaking now, it is running but not cold. my main concern is whether there are Freon leaking, will there be some other symptoms?
Also what to do if the silver coil is not icy?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK if it has warmed up that much so quickly, you're going to need to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Either you have a freon leak, a bad compressor, or a bad overload relay not starting the compressor. Touch the big black round compressor and if it's warm but you can hold your hand on it for a long time, it sounds like your freon may have leaked out and you'll need a technician. If it's blazing hot, this means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the compressor is really hot and I can't find the plastic box you are talking about! so it sounds like I had a compressor problem. would it worth to get it fix? or may be I should get a new one!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
A new compressor is about $600 to have repaired so I would probably just get a new washer rather than repair it but that's completely up to you. As for the plastic box, it's the only part on the side of the compressor where all the wires come into the compressor to power the compressor. So look for the wires going to the compressor and you'll see them plug into a plastic box on the side of the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will look for the plastic box, if it is the overload relay is loose, would fixing/replace that will help the compressor to work right??
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Correct, this s is the part that actually starts the compressor.