Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

We have a Whillpool Gold Refriderator with a bottom freezer

Customer Question

We have a Whillpool Gold Refriderator with a bottom freezer unit. The freezer is working fine, but no refriderated air is being sent to the refrid section. The model # ***** ***** the Serial # ***** Help
Thanks,
***** *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.If you open the freezer door one the rear interior freezer wall do you see any frost or ice on the rear interior wall? And can you hear the freezer Evaporator fan running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a small amount of frost on the wall, but it does not seem to be covering the vent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a unit in which the freezer is just on big door. It is not a split unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer is on the bottom of the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan is running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you sending any answers
Yes I know which model it is because you gave me the model number , that is very helpful.And if you have any frost at all on the rear wall then it is restricting air flow into the fresh food section .lets advance the unit into a manual defrost to see if the defrost mode will defrost and or even work. Forced Defrost Mode: The forced defrost function is performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Forced Defrost Mode by performing the following sequence of events:1. Hold the refrigerator door light switch closed.2. Press the Refrigerator Temperature Down keypad 3 times consecutively.Note: The 3 keystrokes must be consecutive and within 10 seconds.3. Release the refrigerator door light switch.4. The control will display Fd to confirm entry into the Forced Defrost Mode. 5. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Refrigerator Down key once more. The unit is off and in the Defrost Mode.Note: All control functions will be turned off (Compressor, Defrost, Evaporator Fan, the damper will remain in its current position) 6. The control will default to the short run period test as shown here Freezer Refrigerator S ! Note: You can toggle between the (S)hort and (L)ong test mode by pressing the Refrigerator UP Key.Long Test mode is used for factory test and should not be used in the field. 7. Once the desired mode is displayed, confirm the forced defrost by pressing the Refrigerator down Key once. The defrost will begin immediately and the display will return to a normal operating display with set point values. and defrost will last approx 25 min ,about 10-15 minutes into the defrost mode open the freezer door and see if you hear popping and sizzling of water dripping on the hot defrost heating element,Let me know if you have any questions .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still able to respond
I just did ,just had to look everything up and then type it out to you !Sorry I do not work in a Just Answer office. I`m in a different state and work out of my own business or my service truck . in between my own service calls.So I do not participate in the live call option and that cost you more!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have done what you have directed. After confirming the controls have returned to freezer 5 and refrid 4. Everything has turned off except the fan and it is still turning. We will wait for the required time to open the freezer door. Is there anything else for us to do.
ok which fan is still running ? nothing should be on except defrost .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looking from the back of the appliance the fan at the lower left is still running - should we be able to hear a defrost function
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would we hear as far as the defrost is concerned
the defrost has no sound to it only the ice as it melts will drop on to the hot element and make a sizzling sound.When the fan in the rear under the unit is running ,is the black compressor also running?And you did get the L or the S in the display correct when advancing into the defrost mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We think we got the S display - the compressor is running - the S diplay looks a lot like a 5 - we are getting ready to open the freezer door - hope we hear something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Opened the door but got no sizzleing or popping. The compressor is running and is pretty warm
ok if the compressor and the fan under the unit is running the unit IS NOT in defrost
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we redo the defrost mode again or do we need to wait awhile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when we go into the defrost mode should we close the door and just let it do it's thing
no you can do it over again ! after you get S or the L and set it for L then press the refrigerator down key and close the door at time everything should shut off .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We reset the defrost mode, but nothing shut down. Should we just unplug the unit for 1/2 hour or so
no so would you say it seems as if the unit will not manually advance into the defrost mode?and if you want to manually defrost the unit you will need to have the door open for at least 4-5 hours for it to defrost behind that rear interior panel .one hour will not do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got the L mode and tried to confirm it, but nothing happened. Do we ever do anything with the freezer control. We are going to unplug it and hopefully it will defrost itself. Thanks for trying to help us, but it didn't seem to work maybe it's a board or somthing else
no defrost is activated through all refrigerator button presses .Yes if it is no auto defrosting and you can not get it to manually go into defrost I have to suspect a control board issue.If you turn the unit off to defrost and then it works fine for several days and then it starts happening again ,I would recommending replacing the main control board in the fresh food section ceiling .Here is a link to the part .http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/W10503278/2684578?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.