Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator that will shut off on its own.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator that will shut off on its own. Then when I unplug it and plug it back in it will work just fine. Mod: ET8CHEXSQ01
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that would reset when you unplug and re-plug the refrigerator back in is the defrost control board. Unfortunately the board is sticking in defrost and not going back into cooling mode without resetting power. This defrost control board located inside the control panel at the top of your refrigerator section has failed and will need to be replaced so below is a link to the part you'll need to order for your model. CLICK HERE for defrost control board We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will pick up one of those expensive boards and see if it fixes my issue.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. It'll fix the problem but I'm sorry about the bad news today. I wish I had better news.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, I ordered the part. Guess after I install it, will see if the problem goes away...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK well good luck.