John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a frigidaire side by side, the fridge is fine the freezer

Customer Question

I have a frigidaire side by side, the fridge is fine the freezer doesn't always maintain 0 degrees. The door seals, I cleaned the coils and made sure the fan between the coils and compressor was working. The freezer will get down to zero but I've seen it as high as 20. It is very rare that the unit isn't running.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt. Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ? Ok if you open the freezer door is the Freezer Evaporator fan running?And on the rear interior freezer wall do you see any frost or ice on the rear wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number is *****
The evaporator fan is running pushing air to the refigurator. That side stays at 37 degrees.
There is no ice or frost on the rear wall.
Thank you!
when the unit warms up are the fans and compressor still running?
and how full is the freezer at this time? 1/2, 3/4, Full?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the internal fans don't stop, the fan from the coils to the compressor is constantly running. I had the unit pulled out last week to clean it and it shut off only twice, at that time the freezer was at 0 and the fridge was at 37. The past few days I haven't seen the freezer below 10 degrees. It is 3/4 full now it was full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned it hoping that would help.
Cleaned what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coils in the back had a fair amount of dust built up, also the fan from the coils to the compressor. Just vacuumed the dust out. It did not help.
Sorry I lost power ,due to lightning storm in my area?
If the fans and the compressor are running constant the temperature should be constant also .Some thing has to be cutting off for the temp to fluctuate.when it shuts down try to see what if anything is still running .The freezer fan should at times run when the condenser fan and compressor are not running , it will circulate the air to keep the fresh food to temp. and turn off .The condenser and compressor should only run when the entire unit needs to be cooled down .So you might have a issue with the main control board ,but we need to see if and when those component do turn off .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it's been a few weeks since the condenser and compressor have shut down. Even when the unit was at zero on the freezer last week everything was still running and it does seem louder, but that might be because I'm paying more attention to it. I can take limited readings with a multi-meter if that helps.
ok if it is not shutting off but it is also not getting to temperature either that would mean either the condenser fan is shutting down or you have a sealed refrigeration system issue , but unlikely if it does get to 0 at times .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll pull it out and keep an eye on the fan, though that one I can hear is there two fans in the unit or just the one that moves the air from the freezer to the fridge?
two one in the freezer and one under the unit in the rear next to the compressor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the unit out and took off the cover, the compressor was warm to touch not hot, the coils were not cool, the one coil that runs diagonally was warm. The fan in the back of the unit was running. Within 20 min the freezer dropped to 0 degrees. The fan in the back stopped and the internal fan stopped too. The back fan started after 25 min temp still 0 and 37 inside fan not running. Inside fan started five min later. The unit maintained 0 and 37 for an hour and 40 min. The freezer went back up to 19 when I put the cover on the back. I've attached several pictures from the back of the unit.
ok so when you had the rear cover off the freezer got down to 0 degrees ,but when you put the rear cover back on the the temperature went up to 19 degrees , that is the way I`m reading it?If so is the front of the unit behind the rear grill all clean also ,so that nothing is blocking air flow?With the cover on it should have been cooler then with the cover off ,the cove helps the air channel across the condenser coil in the rear of the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought, and normally there is a draw on the left front and warm air coming out on the right front, but not much air coming out on the right front. I'll look and try and clean it. Does drip pan come out?
yes it is replaceable so yes it should be able to remove it .And yes lets check for good air flow too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was some dust build up on the front of the coils, this has been removed. The unit was at 0 degrees and 37 around 5:30 today this was with the back on and again at 7:30 pm with the back off. The unit climbs to 18 degrees on the freezer side in about 8 min. The unit maintained 17 degrees and 37 until at least 11 pm. The unit was at 0 degrees and 37 at 7:00 am this morning and the fans were all off. Rear fan started and internal 5 min later. Unit stayed at that for at least an hour. It is currently back up to 17 degrees and 37. Could it be the defrost timer or the defrost temp is too high?
Your unit does not have a defrost timer it is electronically controlled and with an electronic controlled defrost the defrost cycle may not cycle on for a minimum of 100 hours because the defrost frequency is calculated by compressor run time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would cause the freezer temp to rise so quickly?
and this rise from 0 to 18 was with out the door being opened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes both doors were closed. Only opened the frig briefly to monitor the increase.
ok so when you open the door you let cold air out and warm air in that will cause a sudden temperature change.And even opening the door for 5 seconds will change the freezer temperature ,and that also depends upon what the room temperature is that the refrigerator is in is.is the unit warming up enough for anything to spoil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the frig side which contains the temp never leaves 37 degrees. The freezer goes up to 20 degrees but that's it. The unit is in an air conditioned home. But technically it should be able to maintain the correct temp if it was in the garage. If opening the frig side is causing the freezer to increase in temp is there some flap that should stop the airflow from the freezer to the fridge?
I have to differ with you the ambient temperature have a lot do do with refrigeration systems the condenser coil is what removes the heat from the freezer ,the hotter it is the less heat can be removed .in some locations say like southern US refrigerators in garages do not work well at all ,because the refrigerant can not remove the heat .And no flap the only way the fresh food section is cooled is from the cold air from the freezer flowing into the air supply to the fresh food can be regulated ,but the return back to the freezer is wide open .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you recommend? The frid side works great the freezer side rarely gets down to 0 degrees. Something isn't working correctly just not sure what it is. The fan only turns off when the unit hits 0 degrees on the freezer side and it doesn't always turn off when that happens.
does any thing in the freezer get warm enough to defrost the food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but ice cream is soft. Ice cubes are still frozen
ok if nothing is defrosting ,I would not even worry about it.