Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My kitchenaid undercounter ice maker has started acting up.

Customer Question

My kitchenaid undercounter ice maker has started acting up. Ran clean cycle with the chemical and after worked fine for about 2 days. Then water fill and subsequent drain pumping water out about every 60 seconds. I opened door and watched and not every time, but several times, when the drain pump started the interior light and power led on the control panel went off for about 1 second and then came back on. I then turned the machine off, entire the ice and then ran the clean cycle with just plain water. Once it completed I turn the machine on and it made ice and ran normal for about 2 days and then same fill, drain every minute started. I've done this cleaning sequence now 3 times with just water and then once complete I can turn the machine on and get a couple normal days of use before it messes up again. When it is acting up I do see water dripping off the bottom of what looks like a small pump that is black and attached to the bottom of the water reservoir. Not sure that's normal, so maybe it will be helpful diagnosing issue.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So the problem has to do with your drain itself Make sure the drain hose isn't kinked between the icemaker and your drain pipe on the house. If that all checks good, the drain pump will need to be replaced because it's not draining quick enough. The icemaker is designed to cut power to the entire ice machine if the drain pump gets backed up with too much water which is why you see the interior lights going off for 1 second until the water level gets below the threshold inside the main drain pump. The drain pump is mounted under the icemaker in the far back corner and it's a large device that is unfortunately about $400 I'll warn you in advance. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, any thoughts on why the machine works for a couple days after being emptied and running the cleaning cycle? Obviously, the drain pump is working so do they lose pumping volume capability while still operating? Seems like that is what you are saying because you state it isn't draining fast enough, but it is pumping.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hard to even know if this issue is even related to the original cleaning issue. You may have fixed the other problem which is why it worked for 2 days and now you have another problem. Bt drain pumps will often become less efficient over time which is why they drain slower. But the other option would be that your drain line itself is partially clogged or kinked somehow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll pull the machine out and check the drain hose. Suppose it might be hard to tell if gets kinked when unit is back in place but I'm thinking it's probably the pump itself as you suggest. Bummer on the cost of the pump, but if I can replace it myself that's cheaper than a service call. Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and everything you said is correct. The part itself is fairly easy to replace aside from un-installing the icemachine to access the part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question, do you know if there will be a part # ***** the pump or, I guess I can search a parts supplier and provide model #. I found this on a general search but don't know if it's the pump I'll need: Drain pump OEM Part - Manufacturer #W10122062, $287.00
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You'll need the model number to look up the correct part. There aren't too many different options so that one you looked up might work, but you'll need the model number to look it up correctly.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm writing back after about 30 days of use. I really don't think the drain pump is my issue. It just seems strange to me that I get fine performance after turning unit off for anywhere from 1-7 days before it malfunctions. The machine makes full bins of ice, I can empty all ice and it makes another full bin all with normal fill and drain cycles. At least that's my sense. I hear the water fill about 1x every 10-15 minutes. Then, out of the blue the unit starts filling and pumping about 1x every 60-120 seconds. This happened last night, so I turned the unit off and let it sit overnight. I turned it on 2 hours ago and it's working perfectly, making ice, and filling/pumping about 1x every 10-15 min. I hate to start replacing $300 parts chasing a guess, but could this behavior be the main board going bad versus the drain pump you previously suggested?
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
I see the last person has opted out of your question!Your issue is a drain pump issue.some units depending upon how the installer / builder installed them have two drain pump .The units interior drain pump on the bottom of the water reservoir and the second is on the exterior of the unit and is not part of the unit.So if you look parts up you will not fond it because it is a accessory drain pump that was not part of the original parts break downand when you did the very first clean cycle any large Calcium deposits that were removed from the water tubing ,inside the pump or that were on the Evaporator plate ,they get inside this accessory pump and clog an internal screen up.The reason it works fine for a few days is when you turn the icemaker off that does not turn off this accessory drain pump it plugs into a wall out let then the icemaker plugs into it`s outlet.so the accessory pump is able to slowly pump all the water out of it even though you have the icemaker turned off .and when you turn the ice maker back on it drains fine for a few days and then the accessory pump starts not being able to pump the icemaker drain water out fast enough.This accessory drain pump is mounter in the rear UNDER the unit it is part number 1901AThe link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/1901A/2310253?ss=-x31393031&mr=0?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.
I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time