Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My circuit breaker tripped and now my whirlpool wfw9150ww01n front loader will not

Customer Question

Hello. My circuit breaker tripped and now my whirlpool wfw9150ww01n front loader will not run properly. It powers up and I have tried to run the diagnostic test, but it seems to get stuck at the step where the pump motor runs. When I try to start the machine on a normal wash cycle, the door locked properly a couple times and would no run further. A few times the lock also did not seem to engage properly based in the sound. I am guessing the lock mechanism needs to be replaced but any thoughts of its a board or something else???
Thanks in advance!!!
J
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave, How long has it been trying to run pumping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave,When it's in the diagnostic mode, the pump ran for 10 minutes and then I stopped it as I was concerned about burning out the pump ( no water in the machine from what I can tell).When I try to run a normal cycle, it doesn't actually start to get to the pump running.l step of the cycle.
Okay, when the power is interrupted to the washer they designed it to start with a 10 minute pump out before it resets. Sometimes it seems to take several times with unplugging in between but I don't think anything is wrong with the washer. Let it unplugged for 15 minutes and then plug it in and let the pump run if you hear it running and it should reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 22 minutes, the pump was still running in diagnostic mode. I stopped it at that point.When I try to run a normal cycle, the machine doesn't start a cycle. It lights up and allows me to choose a cycle, but the fill doesn't engage. If I push the power button, the "add a garment" light and " door lock" light stay on. I then have to unplug it.
Have you let it go for at least 10 minutes after plugging in? Does the door lock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I plug it in, nothing happens unless I push a button. The washer doesn't do anything automatically when plugged in.... Just sits there like it's ready to wash a cycle. But when I try to wash a cycle it doesn't engage. I have to run out for an hour so I will unplug it and try again when I get back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door does lock though. I can hear the loud click.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And have let it sit unplugged for +10 minutes.
Okay, I am back from Church. Let's go into diagnostics and see if there are codes. Since you already did this you likely know the steps but using the 3rd button will let you go through multiple codes when there is more than one. Pressing and holding the 3rd button for 5 seconds will erase the codes.1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).2. Select any three buttons and follow the steps below, using the same buttons (remember the buttons and the order that the buttons were pressed):Within 8 seconds,• Press and Release the 1st selected button,• Press and Release the 2nd selected button,• Press and Release the 3rd selected button;• Repeat this 3 button sequence 2 more times.3. If this test mode has been entered successfully, all indicators on the console are illuminated for 5 seconds with “888” showing in the Estimated Time Remaining three-digit display. If there are no saved fault codes, all indicators on the console will momentarily turn off, and then only the seven segment display will come back on and display “888”. If there are codes, a momentary press of the 3rd button you used will advance to the next stored code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My washer doesn't have a digital display. When I get into diagnostic mode, I checked the 3rd button but the wash light is not blinking at all to indicate and error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the pump wire harness from the board and replugged it in. When I plugged the machine back in, the machine fired up automatically. I am going to let it run and see what happens...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the spin led is lit up and the machine is draining. The drain stopped, but I haven't seen the machine actually spin. After a few minutes, The drain kicked in again and is running. It just stopped draining and is now sitting idle with spin and door lock lit up.
This is more what I expected. Sometimes it takes a while to get the control back where it knows what is going on. I call it electronic senility. Sometimes you need to leave unplugged for 15 minutes and then plug in and let the pump run off and on and eventually it will be okay. I don't think you will need to replace any parts. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. It's been sitting idle with spin and door lock lit up for about 20 minutes now. We're going to run a few errands. Hoping its cycled-thru by the time we get back.
Okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well after more than an hour and a half of sitting idle, the light for "spin" and "door lock" is still on but no action in the washing machine. Could the drain sensor be bad or soiled? Will the machine spin if it hasn't drained?
It uses the pressure switch to know if it has drained but I'm not convinced that is the problem. If it fails most times you get a suds code or the pump keeps running. I would pull the plug again and leave it over night and then in the morning plug it in and try to clear it and start a cycle or get diagnostic to blink codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it still isn't working correctly. It did start up when I plugged it back in earlier today. I let it run for about 4 hours. It cycled thru where the washer would fill and drain. I didn't ever see the wash tub spin though. I am starting to wonder if that is the issue. When I came home after 4 hours of being away, the spin light was on, but it was not spinning. Any thoughts? I am still not getting any error codes when i get into diagnostic mode. Also, when in diagnostic mode, it continues to get stuck. I have pulled th top and back off to un-hook and re-hook-up wire harnesses too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
So it is doing everything except spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, seems to be. It fills, drains, i hear the door lock click loudly. I haven't seen it spin yet though...
If we can't get into diagnostics I don't know how to help you.
I will opt out.