John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My maytag refrigerator is not cold but freezer is still wo

Customer Question

My maytag refrigerator is not cold but freezer is still working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.If you open the freezer door look on the rear interior wall can you see any frost or ice on that rear wall?And while the freezer door is opened do you hear the freezer evaporator fan running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ice I hear something running but not sure if it's coming from the freezer that is working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I hear the freezer running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I misread the question. No ice and freezer is running
freezer door closed ,open the fresh food doors ,can you hear the fan running in the top of the fresh food section ? And can you feel any air coming out of the top vent area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No air coming from the vents.i can hear something running but I think it's the freezer that I'm hearing
ok so then I will assume the fan in the fresh food section is not running then.on the top of the fresh food section on the left side where the vent is do you see any frost or moisture in that area?and is the icemaker making ice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No moisture over vents but some moisture in center back wall. Ice maker hasn't worked in over a year.
ok I have a feeling that you have a air blockage /ice in the upper venting system.how old is this unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 years tops
ok you will need to remove the top panel in the fresh food section . but this unit is a real pain to get the top panel off you need to get behind the top cover face and with a putty knife pop the cover off to the drop the icemaker and air duct down to have access to everything.how handy are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am handy but I have to go for an appointment at noon. Can we continue this Monday or will I have to pay another fee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I'm going out of town till monday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is always my luck!
No we can continue later on ,just copy the URL address and past it to your favorites and reply back when you can .it will come directly to me .