Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The coils inside the freezer are frozen, the coils in the back

Customer Question

the coils inside the freezer are frozen, the coils in the back of the freezer are fine.. What's up?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. QUOTE: the coils inside the freezer are frozen, the coils in the back of the freezer are fine How can they be both fine and frozen? Also, do you have a model number located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section so I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model: AMANA ABB1924WES 18.5 CU. FT. BOTTOM FREEZER REFRIGERATOR WITH 4 HALF-WIDTH ADJUSTABLE SPILLSAVER GLASS SHELVES, TEMP ASSURE FRESHNESS CONTROLS AND REVERSIBLE DOOR SWING: STAINLESS STEELWhen I take the back of the refrigerator off, the coils looks fine (i.e. no ice). When I look inside the freezer, the coils are frozen.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK that makes a lot more sense. Thank you for that added information. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up and the fan is running, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. If you find that both the heater and the defrost thermostat have continuity, then your display board up inside your refrigerator will actually need to be replaced because that is what controls the defrost cycle and it's apparently not telling the freezer to defrost like it should.To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have already taken the back panel off and the fan is running and those coils look good, i.e. no ice or dust build up. I do not believe there is a second fan for the coils visable from inside the freezer only through a small long opening. That coil has ice. does the same defrost heater and defrost thermostat control both sets of coils?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is only 1 sec of coils that gets frost and has a defrost heater/thermostat. That is INSIDE the freezer. You need to remove that panel to do what I recommended. This has nothing to do with the compressor or fan back by the compressor or the coils below the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just looked inside the freezer and the coils there no longer have ice built up on them. there is residual ice around it but nothing on the coils. I had turned the temp down to 1 for the freezer yesterday.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then why do you think you have a problem? I'm not sure what you saw but the coils are supposed to be lightly frosted from top to bottom and that is 100% normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I saw was completely covered coils with ice sticking out through the opening and a lot of water draining from inside the freezer as the ice dropped off and melted. I know what I saw and am not making up a problem. I am a 20 year engineer but have no experience with a freezer but know a problem when I see it. I really do not think you can do much for me now. If it happens again I will figure it out. My wife started this conservation with you and, believe it or not, she has the sense to see a problem when it exists as well. The coils were still frozen 2 hours ago and that was the last time i looked. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the unit went through a defrost cycle then, so either the control board is going bad and not defrosting regularly, or one of the doors was left cracked open causing it to over frost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler, you are amazing.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck to you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
We are on the honor system here.  Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?