John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a problem with my washing machine. It started flipping

Customer Question

I have a problem with my washing machine. It started flipping the gfi, so I took the belt off the motor, motor will run weakly, everything else seems to work, but when I hook the belt back up, the motor whines a second and then flips the gfi again. Do I just need to replace the motor or could there be another problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.The washer actually should not be on a GFCI outlet ,it is designed and recommended by the manufacture to be on a slow blow outlet.Lets use a short extension cord as short as possible and plug it into the closest non GFCI outlet and try to run it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for replying Woody. So I've plugged it into a regular outlet, it should be noted that I've disconnected the water from my earlier attempt, now the motor will actually turn the tub empty, but it sounds strained and it sounds like wire are shorting inside the motor
do you mean the motor is sparking and crackling ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, no not quite that intense. There's nothing visible, just a slight tick that sounds abnormal. So I've hooked the water back up, and it's running a small load on a regular outlet. Apprently my dad had found a large load that didn't seem to have gone through the spin cycle, when he tried it again, it kept flipping the gfi. My first thought was that they'd been putting too big of loads in there and wearing down the motor which caused it to flip the gfi because that had never happened before. It seems to be running alright
ok well run it on the non gfci outlet for one load ,then lets put it on the GFCI and see if it tripes it again ,you may just have a GFCI that is going bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow. Here I was thinking itd need a new motor. Should I then replace the gfi with a normal outlet?
replacing the GFCI with an outlet may not be possible it the outlet is tied into other GFCI outlets .Lets see if it trips the GFCI outlet before you replace it .