Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Jon. I'm Phyllis. Have a model 532 subzero since 1994. Love

Customer Question

Hi Jon. I'm Phyllis. Have a model 532 subzero since 1994. Love it. Last night all was fine. This morning the ice drawer is frozen shut. Looking at it it seems to be full of frozen water not ice. Everything else in the freezer is just fine. What do I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phyllis. Thank you for visiting us here at JustAnswer and allowing me to help you with your appliance problems today.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
This is a very common problem believe it or not. Not a major issue but still one that is a pain in the butt. The cause for the ice in and around the freezer door is the door left slightly open. And I'm not saying it was left open intent illy, the way your freezer door tracks and supports work, as it closes it pulls the door in tight. But sometimes it will allow the door to bounce back left slightly open. Just enough to let warm air in and not enough to make the door alarm go off.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Once the warm air gets into the cool freezer section it creates condensation which in time, will freeze being in th freezer. Sometimes this will freeze so much it will actually freeze th freezer door shut and you have a very hard time opening the door.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I would first defrost the freezer door after getting it open and removing all the food in all baskets and shelves, including the door itself. Then try closing the door gently. Noticing if it is closing around all sides. I'm sure you will find there is an area on the door, usually the top left or right sides, where the gasket doesn't quite fully seal to th ref cabinet. And this would be where the warm air gets in. Once you find that take a look at the racks and make sure they are all the way back into the freezer cabinet. And make sure there is nothing preventing the freezer door from fully closing. Sometimes th ice maker or ice maker automatic shut off swing arm drops too low and causes the upper rack to not fully close. Thus not allowing the freezer door to fully close. Loving the door slightly open
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Check all that and see what you find. If the rack is preventing it from fully closing again try to fix the rack. If the rack is broken and can't be fixed let me know and I'll get you the part info so you can replace it. If you check and don't see any racks that are preventing the door from fully closing please look to the back interior cover of the freezer section. Do you see ice or any ice cubes that have fallen out of the ice bucket and rested on the back freezer floor that could prevent the door from fully closing.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Check this and get back to me here. I'm sure you will find either the freezer door rack or supports being the cause. And you can quickly fix that by following my advise as listed above. Please let me know what you find if it is anything else.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not the door to the freezer itself but the ice bin drawer itself. Everything is still frozen no frost but the ice bin is full to the top with a block of ice and the arm is down and frozen it it.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ah. sorry. I must have misread your initial description. This is quite easy then. Sometimes the ice maker automatic on off swing arm will get stuck in the ice while going through a prolonged defrost cycle. It happens often. I would advise removing the ice bucket and defrosting it and then defrosting the ice maker mold as well. If you can, remove the ice maker it makes it easier to defrost the ice. Then just put it all back in place making sure the ice bucket and shelf itself are set in place and pushed all the way back. This should do it. Just monitor it for a week or so and if it is ok then you are good. If it starts to get stuck into a big block again, then you need a new ice maker.