Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Maytag legacy electric dryer model MDE308DAYW. For

Customer Question

we have a Maytag legacy electric dryer model MDE308DAYW. For several years everything worked fine. Now, virtually everything comes out with black streaks on it. The items have to be rewashed several times in order to remove the marks, and some are simply ruined. There is a black "gasket" on the back of the dryer, from which the marks seem to be coming. There are parts of it where lighter colored material is showing through. What can be done about it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This is a common issue and it just means that the drum seal is breaking down and will need to be replaced. Below is a link to the seal you'd want to order and replace to resolve the issue and it's about $15 or so. CLICK HERE for seal Also, below is a video on how to replace the part. Ignore that the video shows it's for a "Whirlpool" dryer. Whirlpool bought out Maytag in 2006 so they make all the parts for Maytag now as well. CLICK HERE for video We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not very helpful. I stated the nature of the problem myself. All he did was confirm it. I still have to hire someone to replace it. It was a waste of $5. It is certainly not worth any more! If you try to charge more, I will dispute it. Your provisions say that the balance will only be charged if I am satisfied. I am not.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you were looking for. I'm glad I was able to help confirm what you suspected as well as give you a video on how to replace the part as well as give you a link to where you can order the part. I'm not sure what more I can possibly do.