Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Fix It Only: Do you have steps to take a

Customer Question

For Mr Fix It Only: Do you have steps to take for making a working (window) air conditioner compressor (not sure which type) quieter when starting up. AC works fine but cannot replace compressor. I have read the sites. Dont need infopaedia or Repairclinic but real instruction that will do the job. Guys ready to take unit out. Now need to know what to do. No other advise about what to do with unit. Anything for the hum, hum, hum, sound which can get louder would help to.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Without replacing the compressor, the only way to make it quieter would be to insulate the compressor to dampen the sound. However, in doing that, the temperature will increase and it will shut off on the overload. So there is not really any way to make it quieter without replacing the compressor.