Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We had a repair person out today build in side by side

Customer Question

We had a repair person out today for our build in side by side KitchenAid refrigerator-- freezer was too cold and refrigerator not cold. He defrosted the freezer and said the fan to the refrigerator was frozen and not working-- he said after defrosting and doing something with the "foam" that it was now fixed. It has been 6 hours since he left and it has not cooled down AT ALL in the refrigerator-- will it cool down after some time or do I need to call him tomorrow to come back???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the unit hasn't gotten down to temperature in the refrigerator yet, most likely it never will. It can take up to 12 hours to get down to the correct temperature in the refrigerator, but it should at least be getting cooler after 6 hours. That being said, usually you can just open the freezer door to hear if the fan is running. If the fan inside the freezer is running, then it sounds like you either have a defrost issue or the damper inside the refrigerator isn't opening and the damper would need to be replaced. If the fan isn't running, you will need to replace that fan motor because it has stalled once again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I don't think the fan is running-- in fact, I remember hearing a funny sound from the freezer before the refrigerator stopped cooling-- Our ice maker is not working either-- not happy about this!!!! Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The icemake won't work until the unit is cooling properly so that is likely causing the icemaker issue, but until that fan is replaced it sounds like this will be an ongoing issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou -- will call them back tomorrow-
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?