Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

My burners keep sparking on my Viking Stove, even after the

Customer Question

My burners keep sparking on my Viking Stove, even after the flame comes on
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your range, working together I hope we can figure the problem out for you.Have you spilled anything on any of the burner knobs on your range before the problem started acting up?
Can you supply me the model number off the label on your range?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VGSU1616. My maid was there and she cleans the stove. She cleaned it that afternoon. By night it didn't work or 3 days later. I have a handyman and he suggested new ignitors before we put the stove back together
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.New ignters will not solve the problem. You have one of two problems.1- Your cleaner lady, somehow got liquid down under the knobs and it is creating a circuit to activate the spark module that is located the cooktop. Under each knob is an electric switch that activates the spark module when you rotate the knob to light the the burner. For now, remove all of the kobs and spray some WD-40 down along side of the shafts. Hopefully the WD-40 will displace any water that may have gotten down into the switches that are attached to the shafts. If that works the sparking if that is the problem2- You have a short circuit in the spark module itself. It is located under the cooktop burners, inside the cooktopYou would need to replace itClick here for a picture.I would suggest that you get a qualified service tech that is familiar with Viking products, not a handy man, to repair it if needed. It is too expensive of a product, for a novice to start tearing into it and damaging more than what is broken.Sometimes, if it is a liquid problem, after a few days it will dry and and stopping clicking, just unplug and wait. You can always light the burners with a grill lighter if you need to use it.