Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Do Frigidare Refrigerators have reset or some sort of device

Customer Question

Do Frigidare Refrigerators have reset or some sort of device in case of overload or lightning strike?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There is no protection in that model, no. Most do not have any type of surge protection. An external protector is available below and is highly recommended. CLICK HERE Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly, there's no reason to do a repair on a fridge over 10 years old, Frigidaire or any other brand? Would that be your answer? Buy a new one?!
Thank you, Kelly!
Beverly Sherrill
St. Louis, MO
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It would depend on what the problem is. Newer refrigerators certainly use less energy, but repair may be very inexpensive. What is the appliance doing? Just the buzzing sound from the compressor followed by a click?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing! The compressor doesn't kick in, so no cooling,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R U there, Kelly?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do you hear it buzz and then click off, though? Is it getting warm, even though it is not running?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
On the left side of the compressor is the start device. It is shown as number 30 in the diagram at the link below. With the refrigerator unplugged, can you pull it off and shake it? Does it rattle? CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're checking. It hums then shuts off.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, see if that start device rattles when you shake it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is all it does. Tries to kick the compressor on, but never happens, Kelly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, did you remove that start device?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the start device and where would I find the start device?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking now, Kelly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Roger that, thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still getting to it! Got it!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! Any rattle to it when shaken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly, it does not rattle. Do you want me to put it back in fridge and plug fridge in?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, if it does not rattle, it is probably good, which is actually bad. That means the compressor is likely faulty.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You could replace it inexpensively to see, but I suspect the compressor is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. BUY A NEW FRIDGE, RIGHT?! What brand do you suggest, Kelly?
Thanking in advance for diagnosis and advice! GREAT JOB, KELLY,
Do you give info on the best fridge out there?
Beverly Sherrill
St. Louis, MO
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend a Whirlpool built replacement. They can be sold as Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, Kenmore, Roper and a few others. The salesperson will be able to let you know if it is Whirlpool built. I would stay away from LG, Samsung and Haier, they are very troublesome and hard to find service people willing to work on them! Thank you!