Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Maytag gas dryer - 6 months old. Now getting gas smell inside

Customer Question

maytag gas dryer - 6 months old. Now getting gas smell inside tub when running. Painters and floor stain guys had the house smelling last 4 or 5 days so I assumed that it interacted with the dryer pilot light / burner. I have ran the dryer empty on air only and no smell. I put it on low heat and now the gas smell comes back. ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. Would you describe the smell as when a kerosene heater is turn on or off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on
Can you explain? On?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dryer worked fine. floor peeps came and sanded and stained. next day the towels in the dryer smelled like gas. No gas smell outside the dryer but open the dryer door. Gas smell. I turned off the gas line. i have called Maytag repair but if it is only the smell from the wood floor staining caught up in the gas dryer how can I eliminate the smell inside the dryer? if you run dryer on air only no smell - turn on the heat - smells like a gas extermination prison
Okay, the problem is paint fumes when burned through a flame smell like gas. All you can do is wait because it can take weeks for this to clear up. Even after you can't smell the paint fumes it will still happen for weeks.