Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Magic Chef MCBR 1000S has been having trouble cooling for

Customer Question

My Magic Chef MCBR 1000S has been having trouble cooling for some time, recently the refrigerator portion has stopped cooling altogether.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Check to see if there is frost built up on the evaporator behind the freezer rear panel inside the freezer. Let me know what you find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep frozen solid. I gave the fan a flick with my finger and it started spinning again but sounds a bit rough. Photo of evaporator attached.
OK that looks like the heater is kicking off too early, you likely have a bad defrost thermostat which is off to the left clipped to the evaporator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I couldn't find an exact match for my model, but found one that looks pretty close:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-bimetl-def-w10225581-ap4511066.html
Let me know if you think this one is unlikely to work. Otherwise I'll let you know what happens once I have it installed.
Yes that will work fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Appliance Guru,I've installed the new defrost thermostat (see attached photo) and the fridge has now been running for several days. However the refrigerator compartment is not cooling below 60 degrees. It seems there must be another issue at work.Other symptoms I see/hear are that the compressor feels very hot to the touch and that the fan spins but it sounds a bit sluggish, like maybe its not spinning at its top speed. I could upload a short video+audio clip of that if you would find that helpful. I also could measure the surface temperature of the compressor if that would help as well.Thanks.