Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a model(###) ###-####Kenmore Elite refrigerator with ice

Customer Question

I have a model(###) ###-####Kenmore Elite refrigerator with ice and water in the door. I had water leaking. So found the water filter broke. I have removed the filter, put the bypass cartridge. Since then looks like the refrigerator is not cooling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
can you open the ref door and feel any airflow coming through the damper area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not feel any air flow.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
okay not good. has food gone bad yet? If you are catching this early it may not be so bad. good news is that the poor air circulation usually has nothing to do with the water filter. So it is nothing you caused.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Open the freezer door and look towards the back center of the freezer wall. you will have to move some food around to see. Do you see any spots of ice or frost on the back inside wall of the freezer?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
The poor circulation of air flow causing the ref to get warmer is usually due to a defrost failure in the freezer cabinet. Look there and tell me if you see any frost or ice built up on back interior wall. Look carefully and with a flash light if you cant see it clearly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no ice. we noticed the issue this morning. and cleared ot the food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i saw some ice yesterday, when i found the water filter leak. i guessed it was the leaked water that frozen. the freezed seemed to be working then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i feel the refrizerator is not cooling since last night, after i removed the broken water filter.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Okay then you are definitely catching it quickly. Again this is good. Next step is to pull the ref out and check the back lower access area. Where the compressor and fan are. You will again, need to remove the ref away from the wall and cabinets so you can get to the back of the ref. Once out remove the screws to the lower access panel which should be either cardboard or metal and should have several screws on it. Then behind that cover you will see a black roundish ball, the compressor, and the condenser fan. Please first tell me if the condenser fan is rotating or not? And then put the palm of you hand on the compressor and tell me if it is running or vibrating and if it is so hot you cant keep the palm of your hand on it for more then 3 seconds? And finally, how dirty are the coils back there? If they are very dirty that could alone cause the poor temp. check that and let me know what you find. Thanks.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
The ref wouldn't produce any ice if the temps are too warm. Check the above and let me know what you find. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. i feel little bit of air coming out of the sides ( dampers near the door hinge. see some moisture around there too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me check that. will be few minutes.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok. i didn't tel you to check that yet, but it is good that you found that. Is it open so much that you can see light coming through? or open enough that it is not fully sealing? and could be letting warm air through?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
No worries. it is important to check these things with the problem that you are having. Take your time. I will be here for you. Just let me know what you have found and I will help you more. Thank you again for checking this. I wouldn't ask for you to do it if it wasn't important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still working on moving the freezer. the side dampers are quite open. but iam getting only small amount of cool air coming thru.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
How is it going moving the ref out from the cabinets? You will need to access the back lower access panel to do the next set of diagnostic checks.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry about the dampers for now. Just pull the whole machine out to check the back please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still working on getting the freeze out.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me the full model number found in the ref cabinet of the ref? The number you list above is only the partial number. I would need the full number of the ref to pull up the diagrams and model specific info for you machine in order to better help you.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
May I ask why it is taking so long to remove the whole machine from the cabinetry? It is on wheels just open the doors, grab them and stall pulling it out. If of course you are older or have a disability please refrain from doing so and call a service company over to have a look.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its 795 .71053.012
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the full model number. I will look it up now. And again just to be clear, you are only pulling the machine out from cabinets to look at the back access panel for now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you want me to pull the freezer out. right?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You keep saying freezer. I want you to pull the whole machine away from the wall and cabinetry so you can get behind the whole physical ref. Simply open the doors, french doors in your case, and stand in front of the ref and grab on the doors and pull the whole ref out. It will roll on the wheels and come forward. Keep going forward until you have enough space behind it and remove the lower access panel. Can you and do you feel you are capable of doing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the freeze seems stuck on the side of the cabinets. so working on it slowly.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It is getting late form me here on the east coast so if you seem to be having trouble getting it out continue tomorrow. Or get it out and remove the bottom panel and let me know what you have found and post what you have found here and I will help you more when I log back in tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. thanks for helping out thus far. talk to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
you got it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally pulled the ref. out. The fan is running, believe it is the condenser fan. The compressor is very hot. Not sure if it is running, I hear a noise, may be it is vibrating. I am not sure( it is pretty late). The coils look clean ( it is the black coils you are referring to? they are not metal. ). PL. let me know in the morning. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Jon, please let me know when ready. thanks.