Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ice build-up on bottom of freezer.

Customer Question

ice build-up on bottom of freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The number you have listed is actually a part number. Can I get the full model number located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section so I can be sure to give you an accurate answer please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
abb2224wes1
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, thank you. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions. CLICK HERE for drain hoseWe are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wont be able to implement for some time. so dont know effectiveness of repair advice.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This will fix your problem, that isn't a question. There is a reason why the re-designed the drain for this unit---all of these will fail at some point.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?