Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

What can I try to get the water to drain from my ge dishwasher

Customer Question

what can I try to get the water to drain from my ge dishwasher - it is no longer covered by warranty and I do have an apt for next monday
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.So to start, the filter won't actually stop this dishwasher from draining---just washing well. I just mention that because many people think that if they clean a filter it will get the unit running again, and of course that isn't true on this model. GE has a very difficult drain pump to access. Since your dishwasher isn't draining, the only way to investigate is to uninstall the dishwasher and access the drain pump in the lower back left corner of the dishwasher. Disconnect the drain hose from the drain pump and blow through it to make sure it's clear. If it's clear, remove the drain pump itself and check for debris in the pump. Remove the debris if you find any. If you find nothing and the disposal wasn't replaced causing this problem, then you'll need to order and replace the drain pump to fix the issue. If this problem started from you recently replacing the garbage disposal under the sink--please just let me know because it's likely not adapted correctly to accept the drain line. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?