John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Samsung RF217ACWP refrigerator - it has french doors

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RF217ACWP refrigerator - it has french doors with bottom freezer - and it is not cooling properly. I can see that ice has formed behind the plastic panel in the fridge where I assume the cooling coil is located. I have removed shelving and two screws holding panel, but it seems to be frozen in place and so I am letting it thaw out. I think this problem may be linked to my son playing with the power cool button [and possibly others]
Thanks for your help
Dennis
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.
Hello, I'm so sorry for the extended wait time. Do you still need help with this?
If so, I will try to locate some information on this for you.
Thanks Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rob,I think I may have solved the problem on my own. After removing the shelves and using a hair dryer to expedite thawing, I removed a large plastic panel in the rear of the refrigerator exposing the thermal sensor, cooling coil and fan. Large chunks of ice were still attached to the fan [it could not spin] and parts of the panel. I also removed the lower panel on back of unit and blew away the dust that had collected on the coil there. Once everything had thawed and water/mess was cleaned up, I reassembled everything and both the fridge section and freezer section seem to be working as they should. Temp in freezer is at -2 and fridge is stable at 36. However, I've yet to figure out why the fridge coil/fan unit amassed the ice as it did. So I can't help feeling that I've only corrected a symptom, not found the root cause of the problem - time will tell.I was able to find a five page "Fast Track" repair document online for this model which showed how to engage the unit's internal diagnostic mode. When I did so, no error codes came up. This document also showed how to "force" the fridge [or freezer] into defrost mode manually. If ice builds up again, I suppose I could use that function to clear the ice.So at this point I guess I don't need your help. Do you have access to the service and repair manual for this specific model in the form of pdf file? If so, I'd appreciate knowing how and were to download it.Cheers...Dennis