Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

GE Profile refrigerator temperature setting on freezer

Customer Question

Hi, GE Profile refrigerator temperature setting on freezer keeps changing to 35+ degrees and refrigerator keeps changing to even higher, even after I set to below 0 for freezer and 35 for fridge. Sometimes I get an error message on the fridge part. Can you help? Thanks so much.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Open the freezer and tell me if you see frost or ice building up on the back inside of the freezer wall. Please move the food one the middle shelves and tell me if you see any ice. YOU WILL NEED TO MOVE THE FOOD TO SEE CLEARLY.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Then please tell me if you open the freezer door and hold down the door switch do you hear the freezer fan running? You may need to hold the fan switch in for about 15 seconds.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If you do see ice and frost on the back wall of the inside of the freezer then that means there is a defrost failure. And the freezer has gotten so cold that it is affected the temp and causing to to get warm because the air cant circulate freely as it needs to.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Usually a simple fix and you can do two things. One take hair dryer and blow warm air into he back of the freezer for two hours without any food int he shelves of the freezer. Fanning hot air all around the freezer wall. or unplug the ref for two days and find alternative means to cool your food during this time period.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If the problem reoccurs in about two weeks to a month then you will need to replace the main control board in the back of the outside of the ref.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and or concerns and I will help you more. And please remember to positively rate me below this chat with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions after positively rating me please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again and please let me know how you do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no ice anywhere on the back wall of the freezer.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok good. Now if you hold the freezer door switch down for 15 seconds while door is open do you hear the fan running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the freezer door switch the same as the one that turns the light on and off? If it is, when I turn it off, I hear the fan running. In fact, I hear it when that switch is on or off.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes. it is. It should only run when the fan switch is closed for a period of time. If it is running all the time then there is a problem with the main control board. It happens a lot with these model refs. It is sending voltage to the fan when it shouldn't be. The board in the back will need to be replaced. It is called the main control board. If you post the full model number I'll look up the part info and post it back here for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi:Can we resume this tonight around 7:30 or 8 pm? I have to work all day today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we resume this tonight around 7:30 or 8pm? I am working all day today. Thank you.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Sure just get back to me whenever you have time to work on this again. I will always be here for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jon:Are you there? We had to empty everything out of the refrigerator and the temperature keeps rising. It was at 78 a few days ago and now it's at 83. Can you help?Thanks,
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we set a time today or tomorrow so I can work with you? I have to leave for about an hour. We had to take everything out of the fridge and already lost a lot of food. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jon:Can we resume? You seem very knowledgeable, but logistically, this is very hard to do with internet. I think that if we cannot resolve this today, I will have to call a live repairman. Thanks.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, Anna.I am here for you. Just getting your responses now for some reason. If you could do One important check for me now please. With the ref plugged in pull it away from the wall and access the back lower panel of the ref. Remove the screws on it and tell if you see the fan rotating? If you do, or don't please let me know. next take the palm of your hand and feel the big black ball. That is the compressor. It should feel warm and not too hot that you cant put the palm of your hand on the compressor for 5 seconds. If you feel the compressor please tell me if it is vibrating and warm or if it is not vibrating and it is cold?