MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

Trouble with my ice maker. Ice cubes pile up as they drop in

Customer Question

Trouble with my ice maker. Ice cubes pile up as they drop in the box then freeze in a clump. Temp is recommended zero degrees. BTW when I remove the ice bin I cannot turn the U shaped piece that is supposed to turn the auger. When I have the freezer door open and push on the cube dispenser the auger does not move Is it supposed to tum with the freezer door open? If not how can I test to see if it turns? Thanks Tom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
The icemaker may be harvesting the ice prematurely or it's leaking as it fills. Your auger motor is most likely frozen, so thaw it out by whatever means you want as it should turn by hand. If you hold in the door light switch then that allows the motor to be energized when you hit the paddle. If the motor will not operate once it turns freely then you will need to get a voltmeter and see if it's even getting power before assuming it is bad.