Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Randy, the dryer will not turn on. the plug is good. no

Customer Question

hi randy,
the dryer will not turn on. the plug is good. no lites
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.So you have no interior light or console light?and when you say the plug is good have you tested the outlet for voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I swapped the washer and dryer plugs. the washer works. there are no lites on the control panel.
ok do you have a volt -ohm meter to do any electrical testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
ok if you open the dryer door does the interior light go on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
light is burnt out. I found a multi meter
ok are you able to remove the dryer top panel so you can test voltage on the main control board mounted on the top left side?
if so you will need to test the black lead on terminal P1-5 test it to the white on P1-2 test fro 120 volts A/CIf you have voltage there then you will need to replace main control board.here is a link for the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/8546219/1060737?rcaid=1000070 If you have no voltage from black to white ,then you have a broken wire in the harness some where from the control board to the plug. If you have any questions just reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how does the panel come off. does it just snap off. I can move it a bit but can not get to come off.
two screws on the rear of the dryer then push the panel back and lift off the dryer .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got the panel off. could not get the voltage. might have been on the wrong plug. after playing with it, hit start and it did.
ok just pressing start would or should not have made the control get power to light up the control ,select a cycle and then start.It might be that you just had a loose wire on the control board.After this one time of starting did it heat and where you able to start a second time?