John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I've got a Whirlpool Duet Sport washing machine (approx.

Customer Question

Hi. I've got a Whirlpool Duet Sport washing machine (approx. 7 years old) and have had the following error messages come up: F26, F28 and F31. This began when it locked up (couldn't open door) with 1 minute left to go in the spin cycle two days ago. I've unplugged it - and left it unplugged - several times, checked that the door latch seems to be working, took off top and unplugged/plugged back in the connectors and still…it won't run - and, when I hit "pause/cancel" the "add garment" light flashes - and locks the door.
I had a problem a few months ago that turned out to be the MCU which I replaced with a certified used part.
Help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt. Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ? hopefully you have the model number written down some where!And is the door still locked at this time?And I have been doing appliance repair for 34 years ,What is a certified used part?
on the certified used part are you saying some one said oh it will work just fine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number is: WFW8300SW02. Door is open (took off bottom kick plate to get to the pull-opener). I bought the part from someone on ebay; seemed to be working fine for a while. Do you think this is the problem?
The error codes F26 is a door switch error code.If the door has not been opened for 3 consecutive cycles or the door switch is open while the door is locked for more than 5 seconds. This error code is only shown in Diagnostic testCode F28 SERIAL COMMUNICATION ERROR COMMUNICATION The communication between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the Motor Control Unit (MCU) cannot be sent correctly. This error code is only shown in Diagnostic testand the F31 is MCU FAILURE If the heat sink gets too hot, the Motor Control Unit (MCU) will stop the motor, the MCU will communicate this failure to the Central Control Unit (CCU), then the CCU will reset the MCU. This error code is only shown in Diagnostic test.So if you got them in that very order the last one was a door lock and the next two are a MCU issueNow is it possible the F28 and F31 where from before that is possible?And if you can program a cycle and the door locks ,does it then just set there and does nothing else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if the F28 and F31 could be left from before…after I replaced the MCU there were no other problems so I didn't bother running the diagnostic test again.When I plug it back in and program a cycle, it clicks as though it's going to start and then, nothing. Again, if I hit "pause/cancel" twice it does the flashing "Add garment" light and is locked until I manually unlock it.
ok so when you would normally program any cycle and press start the door should lock ,then a short blast of cold water should come in and then the door should unlock that is the child safety feature IS IT doing that ?It sounds as if it just locks and sets there ,but want to make sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Just locks and sits there, darnitall.
(have to run out to take dog for walk…be back soon!)
ok then I do have to assume it is the door latch lock switch assembly not telling the control that the door is locked .that is why it does not advance into the child safety mode then on into the fill mode and also why the door does not unlock .here is a link for the door lock /latch switch assembly.http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Latch/W10253483/1515091?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.k.! I'll order it today and let you know if it does the trick! Thanks!
P.S. Do you think it's pretty easy to install?
Yes very easy ,here is a YouTube video on doing the replacement not your model or part number but same part and same location.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2cFmKJZY0M
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, the good news is the part arrived really quickly! Bad news is, it's still not working; still flashing F26, F28 and F31. Pretty darn sure I installed it correctly (as you said, it was pretty simple.) Checked the connections to the CCU.
Any advice?
does the door now lock and the unit go through the child safety feature ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door locks - and stays locked - but no water blast. Just the click of the door locking.
ok if it is not the door latch then it has to be the door latch circuit in the main control not sensing the door is locked.Here is a link to the main CCU control board.http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Central-Control-Unit/W10205839/1515074?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, honestly, spending another $200 on this machine is not feeling very smart at this point. I think we're going to get a new one - a top loader this time. Any advice or recommendations would be a huge help!
if you purchased the parts from the place I recommended they will allow you to return the door latch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's good. Any recommendations on a new washer?
well you would need a front loader I assume ,if you have the washer on a pedestal now you will have to go with a whirlpool built model .And Whirlpool owns Maytag .Jennaire,Rope, Crosley , Kirkland, Amana, Kitchen aid, About 1/2 of all Sear Laundry product also .and it is better to have a matching dryer with the washer so any of those brand should match up to the dryer in style and capacity.