Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a 2 year old Whirlpool Refrigerator French with bottom

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old Whirlpool Refrigerator French with bottom Freezer Model #GI6FARXXQ06. Have not had the problem in the past, but were a away for a couple of days and when returned the Freezer compartment had a sufficient ice built up in the bottom and along the back right wall and would not allow the freezer drawer to close tightly. It has been left many times for much longer period with not past problems. The ice maker is turned off and the temperature in the refrigerator is 38 degrees F and the freezer is -5 degrees F.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA My name is***** will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years, and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt. Sounds as if the door was left ajar the entire time you were gone ,you will need to advance the unit into a defrost mode.The switches on the display are numbers from left to right 1-6 the left most is 1 the right most being #6 To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode: Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds. Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator. Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE. The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine. Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence. Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step. Diagnostics will begin at Step 1. Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display. The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is ***** An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is ***** displayed and a red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed. All button and pad inputs shall be ignored and all inputs shall be off except as described in the actions for each step.Advance into step #7 Service Test - 7 Defrost mode • The defrost mode can be set by using SW3. In ADC Mode the product will automatically defrost after a minimum of 8 hours of compressor runtime up to maximum of 96 hours of compressor runtime, depending upon product usage. In Basic Mode the product will automatically defrost after 8 hours of compressor runtime. (01 = ADC ON, 02 = Basic Mode ON) 8 hour timer.Once the unit is in defrost it will stay in defrost for approx 25 minutes defrosting all the ice in the freezer rear interior wall.Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the defrost mode that you are describing for the Freezer compartment only or the refrigerator and freezer compartments? Does the defrost cycle take up to only 25 minutes or longer and is it necessary to remove all articles in the refrigerator compartment if not vital understanding the removal of the freezer items.Thanks
the defrost is to defrost the ice in the freezer behind the rear freezer interior wall.Does not effect the fresh food section ,so no you do not need to move anything out of the fresh food section.And the defrost is only 25 min long no longer , in fact there is a thermostat that will actually turn the defrost heater off before the 25 min but the unit will still be in the defrost mode for the entire 25 minutes just not heating the entire 25 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information but not being technical on this refrigerator you have given me the codes for service but how do I access these codes. Are they located on the front of the refrigerator door or another location for a control board for Troubleshooting? Need to understand how to access for input of codes.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can this also be completed by turning off the unit for a period of an hour or so that it defrosts?
Yes you can defrost the unit with the door open and the unit turned off. not sure about just one hour ,that will depend upon the amount of ice ice you have in the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your quick response. Can you advise me how I access the control panel to enter the codes or are they on the front of the refrigerator door?
they are the switches on the dispenser on the door!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but after defrosting I am still getting a small build up of ice, I am still having some problems. When I enter the codes of SW1 and SW2 it would appear that the entire unit is shutting down , the refrigerator and the freezer. However I went forward and advanced to test 7 it displayed for a second and then gone. I pressed SW3 and have it in 01 and flashing but there does no appear to any heater noise for the defrost for the freezer and the refrigerator is shut down. Is something that I am missing to activate or is this in the activated position and just wait.
when the unit is in diagnosis yes it will shut off.And After you get the 01 you have to press SW5 and or SW4 to go back ,and then you can advance it to step #7 for a defrost mode.And if you had it in 07 and it did not defrost and it only stayed in 07 for a few seconds then came out of defrost that would mean the control board is faulty! Here is a link to the main HV control board mounted in the rear under the unit .http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Relay-Board/W10356039/2117881?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been in the home for a few days and not written a response since I still have the problem. Large build up of ice on the bottom of the freezer tray when I returned. So to go back to your last response...when I enter the mode with SW1 and SW2 and then proceed to move to test #7 it stays on #7 for only a few minutes then indicates 02 on the screen. IN reading the troubleshooting control board it states that 01 for ADC and O2 for Basic Mode, does this mean it is defrosting. If not and it is a faulty board can this be adjusted by me or an outside service representative?
when you see the 01 or 02 you can select how you want the defrost system to work.The defrost mode can be set by using SW3. In ADC Mode the product will automatically defrost after a minimum of 8 hours of compressor runtime up to maximum of 96 hours of compressor runtime, depending upon product usage. In Basic Mode the product will automatically defrost after 8 hours of compressor runtime. (01 = ADC ON, 02 = Basic Mode ON) 8 hour timerI recommend the ADC mode.Then advance the unit into ***** - 38 Forced Defrost mode • Set the Forced Defrost Mode by selecting SW3. OF = No Forced Defrost, Sh = Short Defrost, Lo = Long Defrost I would recommend the long Lo and then this unit will be in defrost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I have now put this into the defrost mode and the "Lo". What length of time will this take and does it need to be taken out of this mode or again does re-start after 25 minutes? Again does it affect the refrigerator compartment? Thanks I will be writing a report as soon as I can get this back to normal. You have been most accommodating and knowledgeable.
it will be in defrost approx 25 min ,and it will advance out on it`s own.And defrost does turn the entire unit off so it will effect the fresh food section. but only turn the entire unit off that is the only effect .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Followed all of your steps and the entire unit did shut off in both the fresh food section as well as the freezer. The ice was removed first before these steps were taken. When the defrost was completed in approx. 25 minutes the unit was restored to standard settings. After several hours of running ice is now forming at the bottom of the freezer. The water appears to be entering the freezer compartment at the extreme right hand rear corner and trickling done the back corner then freezing. Could this be by chance that the unit is not level? This was installed level but having some difficulty understanding why in this location for the trickle of water and then freezing. Does it require several defrosts since we have turned the entire unit off twice for a hour or so in efforts to defrost the freezer. Not sure of what approach is now required?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you a note this morning it did not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sent a note earlier the freezer is still building up ice daily