Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My Amana room air conditioner APN12HJ is not getting cold.

Customer Question

My Amana room air conditioner APN12HJ is not getting cold. The coils do not appear to be icing over. All filters are clean and should have good air intake. The unit is 30months old. Would it be the freon? If so, is it difficult to refill/replace? What else could it be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. Can you hear the hum of the compressor running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is running
Ouch. After running for 20-30 minutes all the tubing should be cold and dripping moisture. If not it is a refrigerant gas leak. Unless covered by warranty this is very expensive and must be done by a licensed service person. Sorry for the bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So now I just throw the unit away and get a new one? That's definitely not the answer I was looking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be worth trying to add freon? My wife said that she hasn't felt the cold for a few weeks, but the times she used it before that, she was using the heater.
I understand. Based on what I see you should have a 5 year sealed system warranty that will cover this. Call an authorized service center and they will do the repair for you.
It looks like they only cover parts though so you should ask when you call. The labor will not be cheap so ask for an estimate.
Were you able to confirm warranty coverage?