John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My sub zero refrigerator freezer allows the freezer compartment

Customer Question

My sub zero refrigerator freezer allows the freezer compartment to heat up above freezing. I have had service here three times over the last year. The last visit resulted with the service technician cleaning the lint / dust off of coils on the top of the unit. The thermometer I've placed in the freezer is reading 60 degrees and the light in the freezer won't come on. AGAIN! Arg!! It's after work hours so I can't call a service technician. Can offer any advice?ūüėē
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
did it initiallly get down to temperature after the dust cleaning ? was the fan up top running and drawing air a crooss that condenser coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to both of your questions. When the tech. Left everything was working OK.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
and now nothing no fan that you can tell ? is it very hot up there ,and is the metal frame between the fridge and freezer hot ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not hot. But the freezer is back working now. The temperature is 18 degrees and light is working. I've done nothing to fix the problem. I can't help but wonder if this is something associated with a automatic defrost cycle???
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
it may the cicuit board keeping the defrost on too long ,when it defrosts the compressor ,fans in the freezer are all off ,lite should still be however , unless its a bad circuit board ,then lites could go off as well ,if its running fine now and not hot on the mullion strip ,that would make the compressor and oolant levels ok as well as fans ,i would lean towards the main board and possibly a thermistor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not familiar with the term "mullion strip" or "thermistor". Can you explain?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
mullion is the metal strip in between the doors ,it has gas running thru there and if the fan up top quits or the coil up top is too dusty it gets abnormally hot ..thermistor is basically a sensor in the fridge or freezer that just sends a signal to the main board saying its cold enough or not cold enough