Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a Kitchen Aid gas stove, about 7 years old,model YTG

Customer Question

Hi, Bob L. I have a Kitchen Aid gas stove, about 7 years old,model YTGRT607HT9. Doing a kitchen reno, I used the door to move it, and it disengaged. Can't re mount it. The two hinge 'fins' are about 6" x 2 1/5", entirely flat. There is no lock mechanism for them. The right hinge seems to be okay, the left one hangs up with about 1" of hinge that won't insert.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. Have you removed the two screws and retainer clips? They need to be removed before reinstalling the door. Let me know and I will give the install steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THanks, ***** ***** I haven't removed the screws and clips. Please provide the install steps.

Okay, first remove the screws and clips. To Replace the door: 1. Hold oven door by the handle and place the top of the door under the cooktop overhang. 2. Use front of leg to apply pressure to slide hinges into the slots as far as possible. 3. Use side of leg to apply pressure to the bottom of the door front. 4. Lift door slightly. Apply pressure and push until the hinges have gone in fully. 5. Fully open the door. 6. Tighten clips with a #2 square or Phillips screwdriver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are no screws. There are no clips. The hinge connection is a large rivet, shown in the attached photooffending hinge

I used model YKGRT607HT9. The second letter I changed to a K because there is none with the T. It is hard to see in your picture but is there a hole through the hinge? If so there are hinge pins that you need to put in to hold the hinge partially open. You can make pins out of nails cut off. With the pins in place you can get the door back in place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI, Dave

You are right about the model having K as the 2nd digit. My bad. There are two holes in each hinge a 1/4" close to the door, and a 3/8" farther out, but I don't think putting a large pin through either of them would help. With a pin in it/them, you could not insert them into the stove slots. See new pic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pic didn't go thru. Trying again:

The hole I mentioned is not seen until you pull down a little on the hinge arm but the installation instruction do not mention this for your model. If you pull down on the hinge arm does it stay locked partially open? I was away from my computer some today but I will be here now this evening and most of tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave

Pulling down on the hinge does not reveal a hole. It only goes down maybe 10-15 degrees. The only thing revealed when it is down is a heavy riveted joint. The hinge does not stay down - it goes into a semi-detent sort of state. As long as you keep a little pressure on it, it will stay down. When you remove your grip, it snaps back to the 90 degree position with a bang loud enough to chase my helpful and curious dog from the room. Poor Buddy!

Paul

Paul, what I have done with this design is to start the hinges into the opening and hold it at a slight angle. This is hard to explain but the top handle part of the door will be 8 to 12" away from the stove. Lift up on the door so that the hinges go to the position where they almost stick and push in at the bottom with your knee. Change the tilt as needed until the door slides in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really want this to work, Dave, but it isn't. The left hinge is more of a problem than the right. The left one just won't go farther in than a few inches, then its like it hits a brick wall! I think the right one will dout okay, but not the left. I've looked into the slots with a bright flashlight to see if something has bent into the way of the left hinge. Nothing. They both look the same. No amount of lifting, pushing, pounding with my hand or knee or leg will make the left hinge go any further. I realize that the "owners manual" details how to remove this door, but does not say a word about replacing it. If you want to try handing this off to another tech type, feel free. If the appliance website will refund my $38, I'll call a local service to get someone out here. Whatever works. I can't use the oven until this coming Tuesday the 7th, when I get my reno'd kitchen counters and start getting the place back in order, so we can play for a few more days if you wish. This just isn't fun! Life's like that, right?

Sorry this isn't working. I will opt out and let another expert give advice. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave - I don't know what to do in order to see if someone else can help. You did all you could, which would probably have solved many oven door probs. I don't want to rate you negatively. How do I call up another tech? Should I just skip the rating dance?

If no other tech jumped in it means they don't have anything to add. I will put in a request for refund for you.