John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

The lights and such in front of the icemaker of our refrigerator

Customer Question

The lights and such in front of the icemaker of our refrigerator is flashing and there is a clicking sound. We did have a jam of ice and have emptied the icemaker. We turn the power off. When we restarted it the flashing and clicking stopped. After about 20 minutes or so it started back up.
Is there something we can do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is ***** ***** I am appliance expert here and I can try to help you tonight. Can you please list the model number of the refrigerator for me? And tell me more about the issue you are having? Does it not make ice or just not dispensing it? Or just getting flashing lights and everything else with the ice maker and dispenser is working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MFI2568AEW
Not worried about making ice right now. We weren't having problems with ice, however, when the tray was emptied, there was a log jam. It is the that clicking I want to stop so I can sleep tonight.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean a log jam?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Where is the clicking coming from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ice was filled up in the tray. Clicking from in front of the icemaker.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
This is a newer style french door bottom ref correct? Ice maker in top left of the ref cabinet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok the ice maker automatic on off lever arm was most likely jamming. Was there a lot of ice in and around the icemaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there was.It just stopped flashing and clicking. AMEN to that
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
There are a lot of known issues with this style and model ice maker. It fails often. And if the clicking is the most you are worried about right now, And have already cleared the ice and it is still cliciking the ice maker itself is damaged. And will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, will call someone in the morning
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you for all of this info. It helps tremendously. If you have already cleaned all the ice out and have removed the ice maker and set it back in place and it is still clicking then the ice maker itself is failing. The motor or mechanism of the ice maker needs to replaced.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried just turning the ice maker off and then pulling it out of the ice maker housing? That will fix the easy problems. Usually.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I would hate to see you call a service tech in and pay big bucks to do that and for them just to remove the ice maker and reset it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did that a few times. Thanks for you help. It is ok now; won't touch it tonight.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Please let me know if you need any other help. Thanks.