John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have an Amana washer, the same model as on this page,

Customer Question

We have an Amana washer, the same model as on this page, S68PXGHM-4530, an older model; it is leaking out the front; the top tub ring is awfully rusted so I wonder if water is coming out the top? I ran a small load last night and didn't see any leaking water. We ran a larger load today and had water out of the bottom. It does seem to be wet where the pump is connected to the rubber tubes so I tightened them up in case it leaked from there. I wanted to remove the agitator to try to check the tub seal but don't see any screws. I'm not sure if it just clicks into place and can be removed by pulling up on it?  **I did just read that the agitator can be taken off by removing the top cap and then removing a bolt/screw; do you know if the cap on the agitator just clicks off? I was able to remove the agitator cap but do not see a bolt. Just a long white stick like thing sticking up through the middle. Also, the ring around the top of the washer is plastic, but just has rust residue from the places where the metal lid has been rusted (we have hard water sometimes). At this point, I would like to remove the agitator to check the tub seal as my spouse thought that water may have been leaking down that middle shaft when looked at from the bottom with the front panel off as it was running. thanks for any advice...

Category: Appliance