John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We had the same problem. Our house went through renovation.

Customer Question

We had the same problem. Our house went through renovation. Before the renovation both washer and dryer were working fine. After renovation (that had nothing to do with the washer and dryer) both will not turn on. The power sources are fine and tested.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  urelectrician replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Did you measure voltage directly at the wall receptacles using an AC voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not. I tried plugging in a cell charger and there is definitely electricity. Both the washer and dryer were working before our renovation at the house and don't light up after the renovation. Nothing happens when we press the start button. The display doesn't not light up or do anything.
Thank you for the replies.
1) In order to confirm whether an electrical problem or an appliance issue, I recommend to measure for the proper voltages at the wall receptacles. You will need an AC voltmeter for this.
2) Is the dryer a gas or an electric model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures of display and our washer / dryer.
Thanks for the pictures.
1) Can you obtain a voltmeter to confirm that the receptacles have the correct voltages?
2) Another option is to temporarily use a heavy grade grounded extension cord and plug it into another know working wall receptacle.
We need to confirm if an electrical or an appliance problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. But let's just say it's not the wall power. What would you say is the next most likely issue to check? Or likely source of problem?FYI our dryer is gas.
1) Difficult to say. Will either be an electrical problem or an appliance problem. The easiest to confirm is that the electrical is working correctly.
I am not an appliance expert. Thus the reason to confirm if the appliances work on another known working receptacle. If the appliances don't work on another receptacle via an extension cord, then I can transfer your question to one of our appliance experts here. An appliance expert will ask you the same thing to confirm if they work at another receptacle.
1) Have you checked if the appliances are connected to any GFCI receptacle or to a GFCI circuit breaker which may have tripped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tested the power by bringing it from another known power source but still not turning on. Please refer me to a kenmore appliance expert.
OK, now we know the problem is not an electrical issue on the house circuit.
I will opt out of the question and send it over to an appliance expert. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question.
Thanks......Kevin!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a model number for your washer so I can better assist you and see what might cut power to the washer? It should be located on a sticker below the lid down near the hinges tucked underneath (not on the lid itself).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me look for that but do these pictures help?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they help, but you'll need the model number so I can look up the wiring diagram to see what can cut out the power in your washer completely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the models for washer and dryer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need more info.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
I see the last person has opted out of your question!My name is ***** ***** to do any testing at all you WILL NEED a volt -ohm meter .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dryer is now working after I unhooked and rehooked the connection to the power cord and circuit board. The washer still doesn't work. I am convinced it's not the outlet.
ok but again you will need a volt -ohm meter before we proceed to do any testing on the washer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will get one.
ok let me know when you do then we can test voltage to the washer in the console area.