Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The date/time cubed-crushed-water menu and select buttons no

Customer Question

The date/time cubed-crushed-water menu and select buttons no longer function. The display is lit and wants the date and time to be set before going further. The panel is no longer manufactured. Is there a way to override the panel to make crushed ice available?The auger could work, and the dispenser door would need to open.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The touch pad may be able to be restored back into service. With the refrigerator unplugged, use a hair dryer to heat the touch pads up until very warm (careful not to damage). While heating, rub very firmly over each pad several times. Does the behavior change at all?
As far as bypassing the control, hypothetically you could install manual switches to run the dispenser. It would not be aesthetically appealing or very easy to do, though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the hair dryer, with no effect. I'm not surprised because the glo lights around the button aren't lit. The buttons are probably fine, they don't get much use. If I hadn't powered off the frig, I'd still have cubed ice available. Now until I can set the clock, or make it think its been set, even the main dispenser button is locked out. What I'd like to get to is crushed ice, triggered by the dispenser button even if the clock, and ability to switch between crushed, cubed, and water, doesn't work. 99% of the time it stayed on crushed ice, and I never used the message center.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the main control has failed. I can get you the wiring information for that model but you will need to be able to read a schematic for it to be useful and make some heavy modifications using a momentary push switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a 10 pin connector running from the HV power board up to the low voltage logic board. There must be a combination of those 9 wires that tell the water, or ice, or ice and crusher to operate. The dispenser door is probably one or a pair of those wires as well. I was hoping you were going to tell me to connect a 6 or 12 volt battery to wire xx and yy, and the controls would work long enough to lock in a new selection. But a momentary triple poll switch that triggers the ice auger, crusher, and door would suffice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last message I received was that I was being passed to another tech, and I would receive an email within 24 hours. That was over a week ago. If a schematic with expected voltages is available, I can work with that. If it is just a wiring diagram showing routing, that's of little use.