Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Frigidaire microwave hums and appears on when door is closed.

Customer Question

Frigidaire microwave hums and appears on when door is closed. All other functions appear to work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you have a faulty door switch. It's a common issue. if you're handy, you can fix it. The grill on top will need to come off. Then you will see the hidden screw holding the panel in place. Once the panel is lifted up you will see the three small microswitches on the left. Usually the bottom one is bad. If you have an ohm meter, you can verify. If not, replace all three. You can get generic ones from any local appliance parts house that work just fine for $3-5 each. The switch is shorted and needs to be replaced unfortunately. A microwave can hold lethal voltage even unplugged. A microwave has a high voltage side and low voltage side. The switches are on the low voltage side. The average cost to fix this issue is roughly $150. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** stated in the additional info', I have already replaced the door switch, so replacing the bottom switch will not be a problem. I will let you know if that works.
Strange all I saw was "Frigidaire microwave hums and appears on when door is closed. All other functions appear to work." Yes, the switches are what causes this issue. It's usually the lower switch. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you