Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My jenn-air cook top (right side burners) will not come on.

Customer Question

my jenn-air cook top (right side burners) will not come on. On the left side, when I turn on the front control the light comes on and when I turn on the back one it makes a very loud buzzing/humming noise. What has gone wrong ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, what is the model number? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know . Where can I locate it?
Around the front by the gasket? Or on top of the control panel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are3 sets of numbers.
Serial --16485549UM
Or, 8114p566-60
Or P/N 208972C
Where is the noise coming from?
The buzzing/humming noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As best I can tell, it seems to be associated with the squirrel cage exhaust fan. When I turn on the L.Rear burner to activate the grill, it will buzz loudly if it is obviously hung up. This is intermittent. Sometimes if will just buzz for a second and then stop if the fan cage actually starts to move. So, I am wondering if there are 2 separate problems or 1 causing both symptoms. as said earlier, the coil burners on the right will not come on. I can turn on high and feel a little warmth but they don't get red glow hot , as usual. Ps ., the fan cage never did make a noise before when the burners were working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Squirrel cage
Hi, it sounds like you have a voltage issue or a faulty fan motor. The fan motor could be bad or have a stall spot in the bearing. Do you have a volt meter? If the range was only getting half the voltage, the burners would only get warm.
Have you tried to flip the breaker on and off several times? That might possibly reset the breaker.