Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Top freezer works fine but bottom refrigerator will not get

Customer Question

top freezer works fine but bottom refrigerator will not get cold, I have cleaned the underneath coils & made sure all vents are open without obstruction. Why?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning!. Let me start by explaining your issue. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermistor.. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermistor is the 1 white plastic bullet device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If you check resistance of the thermistor in ice cold water, you should have a resistance of about 16.3 kΩs. If either part doesn't read properly, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from defrosting on it's own.To remove the back panel itself, you need to start by removing the light cover on the ceiling of the freezer and remove the screw going up through the light enclosure. Remove the light enclosure and that will give you the ability to remove the center plastic vent attached to the back wall of the freezer, and then you can remove the back wall. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?