Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

MAH6700AWW front loading washer with dryer on top won't unlock

Customer Question

MAH6700AWW front loading washer with dryer on top won't unlock & has set clothes inside. Door lock warning has been coming on & I ordered part, but was trying to get one more load done.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Hi, unfortunately, the dryer will need to come down. If the door is locked, you will need to manually unlock from the top. Once the dryer is off remove the top. You will be able to manually unlock the door. Then you can replace the lock assembly since you already have it. Going through the top is the only way to open the door if the lock assembly has failed. You can try to flip the breaker or unplug it for several minutes. I doubt that will unlock the door but it's worth a shot. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have to take the dryer down to replace door latch if it hadn't gotten stuck locked?
No. You could have removed the small metal band going around the door gasket on the front and pushed the gasket into the drum. Removed the screws on the latch and pulled the assembly out through the front. We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge. Thank you