Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My kitchenaid kuis15nrxs0 under counter ice maker makes only

Customer Question

My kitchenaid kuis15nrxs0 under counter ice maker makes only a little ice and its very wet. If I put it on max it does better but nowhere near as much as the same model I have at another house. I clean on a regular basis. What should I look at next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. Your icemaker should drop a slab of ice every 25 minutes. Do you feel hot air blowing out the front on the left side? Have you ever cleaned the coils underneath? Let me know what it is doing and we will proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have cleaned the coils and there is just the residual heat from the motor- no "blowing". Ice maker is cleaned with solution every 6 months and I just finished pulling it out and taking the thing apart to clean tubes etc.. We have the same unit at a different house and it makes enough ice to go skiing. This one has never made very much and recently started making very little. The cubes seem to be thinner and are very wet. I believe this is due to lack of ice. Do you think this is the water control solenoid (inlet valve) and if so can I clean it and check performance?

There is a condenser fan motor underneath that circulates room air in the right side and out the left to remove the heat. If that fan is not running it will be very slow making ice. Have you ever removed the lower front panel to clean the condenser coils? There are just 4 1/4" acres to remove to remove it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have cleaned coils but will check condenser fan late this afternoon. Will let you know.

Okay, thanks.
Do you have an update? Is it working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still have not had a chance to check fan. will advise.

Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked fan and it is working, at least warm air is coming out from under the ice maker. Turned on the ice maker and again it dropped thin wet ice and never really made enough to build up in the ice maker. It is also rather noisy. I am thinking the water regulating valve.

It should drop a slab of ice every 20-25 minutes. To know what to recommend I need to know what it is doing. It should drop a slab, fill for about a minute and then circulate water over the cooling plate again for 20-25 minutes as it freezes a new slab. Let me know what it is doing. Also can you tell if the slab is fully formed into a square a little less than 1/4" thick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hear it circulating pretty much non-stop but the ice is thin and there is so little of it that it pretty much melts about as fast as it makes it.

Okay, here is a way to increase the thickness. If you disconnect the water level sensor it defaults to the longest run time and thickest ice. Look at the link under pump parts, it is item #8. It is the T shaped part that hangs in the water. It works fine with the connector unplugged. Let me know how this goes for you.http://www.searspartsdirect.com/kitchenaid-parts-ice-maker-parts/model-KUIS15NRXS0/0593/0164160.html?searchType=modelSearch&prst=&q=KUIS15NRXS0&searchTerm=KUIS15NRXS0&shdPart=
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All right but it will be about 5 days before I can get to it. Thanks

Okay.