John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I Have an Amana Portable A/C-Model APN12J. The unit worked

Customer Question

I Have an Amana Portable A/C-Model APN12J. The unit worked fine when new but now the light for full tray comes on after about 2-5 minutes, We emptied that started fine Ran about the same amount of time and shut off. We then just let a little water drain and it restarted but only ran for a few minutes. Any ideas.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you today with your ac. I have seen this many times and it is usually a quick fix with the drain or bucket switch. And sometimes can be quickly fixed by readjusting the the bucket.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Do you currently empty the bucket or allow it to get full and alarm sound to let you know it is full? I know now you say it beeps after about 5 minutes, but before you were having the issue would you empty the bucket prior to the alarm and bucket full light lighting or would you wait for it to let you know it was full?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Like I said above, I have seen this issue a lot lately. Especially as the temps go up here. I would suggest removing the bucket and looking to the back of the area not he ac where the bucket goes in. There you will see a small switch. That is the bucket switch and if the bucket is not fully set against that switch it will give you the bucket full message and light. It is common to not fully seat and install the bucket. So I would suggest removing the bucket and cleaning it and making sure the cover is on tight and correctly and then re installing it. unplug the ac for about five minutes while removing the bucket and then plug it back in again and let it run. If it gets better then that was all you needed to do.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
If it still doesn't work after removing the bucket and cleaning it and then re installing it then please let me know there are a few more checks we can do. Please let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have removed the back cover and front cover and I cannot find a removable reservoir. I did find what I think is the water level switch.

It is mounted on top of what appears to be a permanent small (maybe 16-20 ounces. The float appeared to be made of plastic with a strofoam

insert. the insert appeared to be stuck to the bottom of the reservoir, but I had to remove covers get the top off of the "reservoir". If you think this may be the problem How do I get the Styrofoam replacement?

Bob Williams

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any new ideas?

Bob

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Yes that sounds
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
About right. That float switch if not working properly it will communicate with the main board and tell it that the pan or reservoir is full. When it really is not. If you cannot lift that foam float up and down about an inch or so and hear a slight click from the float switch then it is bad. And you can get replacement parts at www.repairclinic.com or www.searspartsdirect.com or by calling whirlpool directly. Whirlpool is who makes all Amana appliances.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jon,

Thanks for your assistance, I think just breading the A/C completely let me see that the float was not stuck, it was just that the reservoir is just too small for this unit, especially especially on an extremely humid days.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
That is common. Glad that you have found the issue. I would also recommend using the drain hose then and not the reservoir since it is a bit smaller. You could use the drain hose that comes with the machine.