Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

There is no air flow in top part of ge tcd18 bottom freezer.

Customer Question

There is no air flow in top part of ge tcd18 bottom freezer. Freezer is operating ok.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the freezer is working but the refrigerator is not, either the evaporator fan motor isn't running, or you have a defrost problem preventing the refrigerator from receiving air from the freezer section. You will need to remove everything out of the refrigerator including the crisper drawers at the bottom. The floor inside the refrigerator will pry up at the front and then slide forward and off. Either the fan is failing and needs to be replaced, or the drain is backing up and needs to be thawed out with a hair dryer and unclogged so that the water doesn't back up into the fan blade in the future. If the fan is running, that means that you'll see the silver coils packed with frost which means you have a defrost problem. You'd need a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat below the silver evaporator coils. If either part has no continuity, you'll need to replace that part and thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the floor is screwed in and the front vent is screwed to walls. Earlier today I was able to pry up back part of front vent but not get it out. After plugging in a few hours ago to keep freezer cold, I can't even lift back of front vent!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Only the floor inside the refrigerator needs to be removed, not the back vent. Part 15 on the diagram below. CLICK HERE for diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the evaporator coils completly enrobed in a block of ice(frost)......what would cause this? Thawed out and now fridge is working well! THANKS!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Frost build up means the unit isn't defrosting on it's own so you'd have to check the defrost thermostat and heater as I mentioned before. You'd need a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat below the silver evaporator coils. If either part has no continuity, you'll need to replace that part. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?