John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I purchased a 70 pint GE dehumidifier the fan does not shut

Customer Question

I purchased a 70 pint GE dehumidifier the fan does not shut off when the selected humidity level is reached in other words the fan runs 24 hours a day. I was told that the 65 pint model will shut the the fan off and compressor when the selected humidity level is reached.
I do not want a unit that the fan runs 24 hrs a day. I am bring the 70 pint dehumidifier back and want to know if the 65 pint model will work?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 2 years ago.
All GE dehumidifiers shut off when desired humidity is reached ( or should shut off ) The exception is if you select CO for continuous operation. So if you have it set for 45% humidity level it SHOULD shut off when that is reached . If it doesn't there is a defect with the Dhum. not the size of the unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answere is not correct GE units do not shut the fan off only when the bucket is full. If you run with a hose to drain the fan runs continually but the compressor shuts off.
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.
Talked to GE - all their dehumidifiers are that way - reason being it helps the coil defrost when the compressor quits , so it is ready for the next cycle when the compressor runs.