Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

0whirlpool refrige did constant door alarm, could not disable

Customer Question

0whirlpool refrige did constant door alarm, could not disable pwrd down/up ok for 5 min then alarmed again used menu to disable alarm NG, then lights went out pwrd DU again then seamed ok 10 min later door open alarm again, tried menu alarm off again NG once again pwrd DU held all night but no interior lights ? bad control board?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. Am I correct that the alarm alway comes back almost exactly 10 minutes after you power it up or cancel the alarm? What is the model umber?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mod gi5svaxvl0 No not exact time and when it does act up the menu controls don't seem to disable alarm, and when it does stop alarming from pwr DU if I seat alarm off in menu the inside lights go out but it still may door alarm later, really seams like the control settings get ignored Right now it is running and cooling OK but no inside lights and I don't want to mess with it since every time yesterday I tried the door open alarm would randomly come back and the beep could not be stopped without pwr down We did have a storm right before this started with a power brownout
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also right now the door open alarm light is flashing but no beep
This sounds like one of the door switches is not being pressed all the way when the door closes. After 10 minutes the inside light and display go out and if you turn off the power or unplug the refrig and turn it back on the lights will come on again. What you can do is turn the power off and then on and with the doors closed pull back on the door gasket without moving the door to see if the lights are staying on in the freezer or refrigerator side. Then look to see why the switch is not operating. It could be a bad switch too but often it not pressing in all the way because a door is out of adjustment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this
Okay, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upper door switches are working lights out almost as soon as doors touch switches found no bulb in freezer moved 1 from fridge to freezer and light does not come on at all Wife and I think we moved bulb years ago to top when 1 burned out because it never lit in freezer. What worries me is I can understand if a switch is flakey causing alarm but I couldn't disable the alarm without a pwr flip and when supposedly disabled it came back. At 300+ for a new control board I don't want to jump to any conclusions. Been more than 10 min and no alarm. I HATE INTERMITTANT PROBLEMS! There, I feel better. Any thoughts? My wife just pointed out that lsat night it went 2 hours before beeping again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just fearing soft failure of controller due to surge damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been 1/2 hour and still no alarm Email any thoughts and hopefully it was just a glitch, Thanks***@******.***
Yes, I agree. Intermittent problems are the worst! Let me check something. If the freezer door switch was the problem and I wonder if it would let you reset when it saw the freezer door switch open? I will see what I can find.
Okay, on your model the alarm should sound after only 5 minutes if the door is open. You should be able to turn off the alarm sounds. I hate to think the control is the problem so I would leave a bulb in the freezer and the next time the alarm sounds, turn off the power for minute and when you turn it back on do the gasket trick without moving the freezer door to see if the light is on.
Have you been able to catch the freezer light staying on?