Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I bought a kenmore (whirlpool), 4 weeks ago. Model# *****

Customer Question

I bought a kenmore (whirlpool), 4 weeks ago. Model# ***** serial# ***** After one week the water dispenser starting Making a loud noise, clicking sound. A technician came out 3 weeks later. First thing he said that my water pressure was too high. My response was no problem with the old whirlpool frig. He then looked at some wiring above the left side of the refrigerator door, screw off a housing exposing wiring. He said the noise was just going to be that, noisy, and that he had been this a log time. Now is this true of this refrigerator. He did not do the following : 1. Replace the filter with the filter bypass plug. Or replace the filter. 2. Listen for noise from the inlet valve. If the noise does not come from the valve check the filter housing. My filter is inside top right. French door, chest freezer. Should I call sears back or is this just the way it is going to be.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The unit isn't supposed to be loud. You can check the water pressure and make sure it's below 100 psi. If the pressure is below 100 psi then either you have a bad valve or a restriction somewhere so you'll want to call out warranty again and request a different technician because that is not normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happens if the water pressure is over 100 psi. They should have made that adjustment at installation right ? Or what adjustment should they have to do .
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You need to contact your water service and have the come out to turn your regulator down. The refrigerator isn't designed to handle pressure that excessive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being that, with the current water pressure, the water dispenser did work for 8 days,would that not be the problem without calling the city. There is no regulator at the "wall" source. Answer the final two questions so I can pay you. Oh three questions. Should the next tech do what I said at first, do some process of elimination actions procedures on the filter,etc.?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes, the technician should definitely put a bypass filter in and should check your water pressure, but whether it worked for 8 days or not without a noise doesn't always mean there isn't a water pressure problem still although it is less likely that the water pressure is not the problem.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?