Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Bosch Nexxt Essence washer - Model WFMC2100UC. Recently,

Customer Question

We have a Bosch Nexxt Essence washer - Model WFMC2100UC. Recently, it has become very noisy during the spin cycle. My sense is that it is the drive motor is going bad. Is there any way to confirm this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The only way to confirm really what is making the noise is to pull the washer out and remove all the screws going into the back panel. Remove the back panel and listen closely when it's going through spin to see if the noise is coming from the motor below the tub or the main rear drum bearing on the back of the tub where the pulley is attached. Normally the main rear drum bearing is the part making the noise so if that's the case, it probably wouldn't be worth fixing as this requires a new shaft and rear drum which is about a $600-700 repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok . . . . I'll hope for the main drive motor. Found one for about $78. As usual, we simply can't afford to buy another HD washer right now.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright well I'm very sorry about the bad news. Unfortunately the dry motor usually isn't the issue but it's definitely a possibility.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any "rule of thumb" to estimate how long this will last before it stops working?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not really. But eventually if the bearing is the part going out, it will start leaking a bit of water and then the motor control board will short out from the strain of turning the tub with added resistance. If the motor is going out, usually it's only a few cycles before the motor fails completely and stops working.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?