ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

Hey tyler, how are you? trying to diagnose my maytag legacy

Customer Question

hey tyler,
how are you?
trying to diagnose my maytag legacy sav205daww washer
everything works fine but the agitator is really rough and sounds like its grinding the bearing. The spin is fine and it still works, but something is clearly wrong.
after some research i think its the transmission case????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, When you turn the top part of the agitator back and forth, does it lock in one direction and turn freely in the other direction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.
Have you tried removing the agitator to isolate where the noise may be coming from?There is a small 1/4 bolt on the lower side of the agitator that will allow you to remove it. Just loosen the bolt a couple of turns
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the agitator is off, the bolt is located under the fabric softener dispenser, the inner tub is also out. The pulley assembly is working fine underneath so it seems to be coming from the bearing?
Sorry, I just took a look at the drawings of your washer and this one was made by Amana. It is different than a Maytag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm, i assume that is maytag outsourcing their manufacturing or licensing?
the bolt holding the agitator to the spindle was 1/2"
Yes, Maytag bought over Amana about 10 yrs ago and then started relabeling washer and called them Maytags.
I think we need to start over . I did not see in your original question that you had it taken apart.How far do you have it disassembled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didnt expect the response to be so quick so i just started taking it apart.
kick plate and front panel are off, top is leaned back, agitator is removed, top tub cover is removed, and inner tub is removed.
based on what i am reading about further disassembly and repair, it has convinced me to buy a new washer, this repair is over my head and im not buying the tools to fix the washer when its already as old as it is.
Was the washer making the noise during agitation or spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only during agitation, a loud grinding noise, spin sounds fine with no grinding or anything,
If you look at the inside of the front panel, do you have a spray line of grease moving horizontally across the panel. This would happen if the main water seal should fail and water comes down across the spinning transmission throwing it on the sides and front panels
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything inside looks really clean, minus a little dirt and grease here and there, the belt is in good shape, all the pulleys seem to be fine, everything looks good.
Then, there is not much left other than the transmission itself making the noise. If the machine sounded normal during spin but not wash, it probably is the transmission. There is a small chance that is could be the lower drive pulley, but that usually wears out because of the load of a failing transmission.You are correct in your assumption that it is a major repair. You would need some a special spanner wrench to remove the inner tub mount and it is not an easy job.At 15yrs, you are well out of any point of this being a economical repair and it is probably best to spend the money on a replacement washer. You can still get hat same washer under the Speed Queen label now if you liked the washer. All new replacement washers other than Speed Queen now will be the new government mandated water saver models. SpeedQueen took over the Amana washer line and has been able to dodge the mandates for now. At least until the government figures it out and makes them change the machines.
I wish I could have given to a way to fix it, but sometimes it is just best to cut and run. I am afraid that this is just not a good repair.If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you rate my help as positive for JA today by selecting one of the 5 stars to rate me personally (not the site or the condition of your appliance) before you leave today. It is the only way JA will compensate me for my time with you. You will then be locked into your question and you can continue asking follow-up questions if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats what i was afraid of, but at least i didnt get too far into and realize i couldnt fix it.
Thanks for the help, ill rate you 5 stars.
Thanks and good luck. Take a look at the speed queen, It is much better build than the new plastic junk everyone else is offering
If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you rate my help as positive for JA today by selecting one of the 5 stars to rate me personally (not the site or the condition of your appliance) before you leave today. It is the only way JA will compensate me for my time with you. You will then be locked into your question and you can continue asking follow-up questions if you still need assistance.
.