Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Kenmore Elite electric built in oven, Model 790, bought in 2007. I am pretty fami

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite electric built in oven, Model 790, bought in 2007. I am pretty familiar with the functions and never had a problem until now. Right now the door is locked and won't unlock. This function is pretty simple, hold the "Stop" function for 3+ seconds to lock and unlock the door, but suddenly this is not working, door is permanently locked with "door locked" illuminated. All the other oven functions are working normally but of course I can't open the door. Oven has no manual latch. I tried tapping the stop/unlock button multiple times and holding it for a longer time but just get a couple of beeps. There is no error message displayed. Oven was not interrupted from a cleaning cycle. Is there an over ride using the key pad or anyway to get the door unlocked?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the touch pad is functioning, the issue likely lies with the door latch motor. The latch assembly will probably need to be replaced and is accessed by removing the top access panel after pulling the oven out. May I please have your complete model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?